Nanna's Homemade Sweet Potato & Fish Dinner
My friend Jody of WayToMe Acres (who is Charlie's breeder, and with whom I co-owned Cadence) has a Border Collie with high cholesterol. On the vet's advice, she feeds her Border a high-quality sweet potato and fish kibble. She discovered that making homemade sweet potato and fish dog food is much cheaper (and probably tastier!) than buying it by the can — and making dog food doesn't get much easier than this recipe. Here's what she uses as a topper for the kibble.
- Fix 2 extra large sweet potatoes in the microwave.
- Pop 'em in with skin on and cook on high until soft.
- Let cool. Discard skin. Mash sweet potatoes.
- Stir in 4 cups of cooked, instant brown rice. (I cook this in the microwave, as well.)
- Stir in 1 small can of tuna packed in oil.
Extra can be frozen for later use.