Great Gravy Cookies
A friend of a friend was walking with her Golden Rusty in the MS Walk one year, and I sponsored her. In return, she sent me this fantastic recipe. I'm embarrassed to say that I've lost her name and contact information, but the recipe lives on. Thanks, Rusty's Mom! I hope we meet up again sometime.
- 2½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 small jars beef-flavored baby food (Beech-Nut is best because it has no onions in it)
- 6 tbsp. beef gravy
- 1 egg
- ½ cup nonfat dry milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- ½ tsp. salt
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Turn out onto a floured surface.
- Lightly pat your hands with flour and shape the mix into a big ball.
- Flatten the ball using a large wooden rolling pin. Roll out into standard cookie thickness.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut the dough into shapes. Place the cookies onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Allow the cookies to cool before serving.
A note about the baby food: Gerber's beef formula contains onions, which can upset some dogs. Beech-Nut's formula does not contain onions. If you plan to use a different brand, read the label carefully first. You can also use turkey or chicken flavored baby food and turkey or chicken flavored gravy.