At the Rainbow Bridge: Duncan the Wonder Dog
Duncan (Starisles Silly Wizard, PT, CGC) was a former rescue Beardie who came to live with me in July of 1991. It took plenty of time, training, and patience, but he blossomed into a happy, bouncy little slate dude with a great zest for life (and pizza). He also turned out to possess quite a bit of promise as a herding dog, and acquired the nickname "the Herdin' Dude."
Duncan's great love (besides pizza) was working the sheep; however, he was a wonderful obedience dog. He was a graduate of Piscataqua Obedience Club's basic course and attended competition obedience classes at It's a Dog's World. He would have enjoyed competitive obedience as a "retirement hobby," but nothing else would have been as fun for him as working the sheep.
If you asked him, he'd tell you that he was Not a Dog. He never really quite understood why I would even have Mere Dogs in the house. He had the personality of a tweedy little old professor in a gray fur suit. In his younger days, he was often invited to parties, and I was allowed to attend since I gave him rides everywhere.
Duncan and I had a dozen years together, and I wish we could have had another dozen. Sadly, even the stoutest of hearts reaches its end eventually. I had to bid goodbye to him in July of 2005, and to this day I dream about him almost every night. I miss you, Bud.
- Nicknames: Prince of Pups, Bag of Wags, Boy of Joy, Gooberhead, Herdin' Dude, Fuzzboy, Little Buddha, Buddy, Bubby, Chubby Hubby
- Birthday: November 2, 1989
- Favorite Games: Herding waves, rolling in decaying seaweed 'cause Mom loves the smell, herding sheep, making Beardie angels in the snow, barking at Charlie and Doogie when they wrestle
- Favorite Phrase: Ride in the car!, followed closely by Pizza!
- Favorite Music: Frank Sinatra. He likes being groomed to "Strangers in the Night." He also admits to enjoying a little Mozart now and then, especially the overture to "The Magic Flute".
- Favorite Toys: Anything that has taste. None of that sissy squeaky-toy stuff for him, thank you.
- Best Place to Scratch: The ears. He groans with delight when you get the right spots. He also enjoys backrubs, and demands his daily rub every morning by sitting on my feet until I stop whatever I'm doing and start rubbing.