Land Surveying Information and Resources
It wasn't too long ago that with the exception of SurveyNet, there were ZERO online resources available for Land Surveyors but that has been changing rapidly. Others have already done a lot of work compiling information pertaining to Land Surveying and ot
her Online Resources of interest to Land Surveyors so I've decided not to duplicate these efforts. Below are the major WEB links I've found so far:
- SurveyNet BBS, the Premier Online
Information service for Land Surveyors and HOME system of the SurveyNet Mail Network
- The Maine Society of Land Surveyors (MSLS). Sorry, this URL currently points to a page that doesn't exist yet.
- GISnet BBS Home Page, Bill Thoen's BBS with GIS/LIS tendancies and additional links to GeoInfo Net,, an international mail network for people interested in GIS, Mapping, and Earth Sciences.
- Land Surveyor Reference Page, Another Surveying Home Page with LOTS of links to Surveying, Mapping, and Geographic Information scattered around the world.
- "The Worlds Second Oldest Profession, Maynard Riley's Most Excellent Home Page with MORE links to Surveying and Mapping information.
And now for something along the lines of Entertainment!
Surveyors never seem to take time out for entertainment. I hope you'll make it a point to stop by this page from time to time for a well-deserved respite from your daily surveying grind. The problem of course is that you might not find this stuff very funny since I've been told that I have questionable taste in this regard. For this reason, YOUR submissions and contributions to this section are happily received!
Surveyors and 1 other guy.... But do you know *which* ones were
- Coming Soon: Surveyor Jokes! The problem of course is that there *aren't* many surveyor jokes circulating, presumably because A) Surveying isn't very funny, B) most Surveyors don't have a very well-developed sense of humor (some folks will no doubt take exception to this statement which of course proves my point) and C) they don't have the kind of reputation that say lawyers have (thank goodness!) which has given birth to so many marvelous lawyer jokes. Well, I happen to have a great sense of humor albeit a somewhat irreverent one and I am currently embarked on a world-wide search for Surveyor Jokes, and I'll post them here when I find some. If anyone has a good (or not so good) Surveyor joke, please send it to me!
- GIS vs. the League of Real Surveyors There's a story behind this picture but I haven't figured out how to write it up yet. For the time being just accept that seamlessly blending GIS and Land Surveying is not necessarily an easy process and that considerable tension often exists between people involved in GIS and the Traditional Land Surveyor. This tension is humorously characterized in the linked picture. Regardless of your orientation on this controversial subject, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. (Picture Credits: I have lost track of who created the original picture... some creative student at the University of Maine. It was passed on to me by Jerry Wahl of the BLM... It was scanned by Bill Thoen, a GIZZER from Colorado... and color was subsequently added by Kelly Bellis, an artistic Maine PLS. Pretty Cool.)
Return to George's Home Page
WEB Page by George S. Fergusson
Last updated 5-01-95