A SNOWY WORLD IN MAINE..We had another heavy snowstorm that tried to keep me indoors for a day or two, but I made it out tentatively the next day, not sure if I could make it to Head Beach or find a place to park. (I had my shovel stowed away just in case.) I did find a place for the car near the Kelp Shed and set out over snow banks to reach the beach. I was the first to attempt this climb! The tide was at the mid point so I was able to walk and shake the snow off my boots. I headed over toward Joe's Head hoping to find porcupine activity, but those animals must have holed up. There were only some signs of deer movement, no beds in that area. I made my way to check the views of Sanddune Beach as the light from the sun was dimming. After reaching the beach, my legs were tiring, so I followed my tracks back and headed out along the cattail marsh. I spotted some deer tracks leading up to that small house with the porch and climbed the hill to find fairly fresh porcupine tracks going from under the house, over toward the larger house at the function of Island Road and Dune Way. I didn't spot the animal in the trees where the tracks led, but saw where a deer had laid down to rest. The Yews by the house were dined upon, with multiple deer tracks showing that activity. By this time, it was getting dark, and I thought it best to head out. There aren't many people around these days if you need help.

I set out again on Saturday and was able to find a parking place near the store. The Kelp Shed has a definite frozen over facade which I stopped to record before heading up the plowed hill. I again looked for the nearby porcupine activity but saw no new tracks. I ventured down the Island Road, stopping now and again to check out tracks. I made it down to Western Reach and decided it was time to venture into the unplowed snow. There again, I found porcupine tracks leading to trees and back to the home site under the latrine. This was in mid afternoon, and I figure if I am going to see these animals, I better come earlier in the day or at night! I pressed on, watching as the deer would stop to dine on fir and pine where they could reach the tasty needles. I looked for beds, but was often confused when an area had been pawed open to reach grass for feeding upon. You will notice in the picture to the left that the deer don't bother using the picnic table for dining. It looks like tasty, huge marshmallows have been placed there!

I kept up the trudging and made it over to Sanddune Beach, now able to use the tracks of skiers and other hikers to make it a bit easier. On the beach, I was surprised to find a fellow out with a metal detector, claiming that this was a good time to find coins and other precious metal objects. I couldn't help but wonder if his device led him often to submerged lobster trap parts. The sun was dimmed by clouds and the wind was a silent whisper. What a joy to be out and about in such a pristine environment! I headed out, picking up a huge Moonsnail and several large mussel shells that made me think of rabbit ears! 1/16/11 Ronnie, the new snow bunny.